Sunday, February 21, 2010

My Hep C Treatment - Four Weeks and So Far, So Good

Last week I marked four weeks of pegylated Interferon and Ribavirin treatment, and visited my treatment coordinator to touch base about how it's going so far. Fortunately, the new is good.

I'm tolerating the meds well. I'm tired, but generally speaking I'm handling the fatigue and other minor side effects pretty successfully. Biggest challenges - nagging headache (off and on), yeast infection, the inside of my mouth feels unusual (as though a sore could pop up anytime) and fatigue. When I need a nap, I need one NOW.

Considering the spectrum of possible side effects, I'm doing great. It's early in treatment and something else may occur, but I'm taking it a day at a time and my transplant team and I are pleased - and I'm very grateful. For now, I only need labs drawn every other week and won't have to visit my transplant center again until mid-April.

Sometime over the next few days I should get feedback about the viral load. After four weeks, a big drop should occur - say prayers, cross fingers. I'll be antsy and curious until that info arrives.

A huge thanks to the people who shared their stories. Hep C is tough and the treatment can be brutal. Docs at my transplant center SWEAR that new meds will be available next year. We can't wait!

Photo by Thiago Felipe Festa

1 comment:

Something Happened Somewhere Turning said...

I'm saying big prayers for you.
I think my doctors are going to start treating me again sometime after March. I'm nervous and anxious at the same time.