Saturday, January 22, 2011

At Last! Biopsy Results that Seem Promising



Last week I had my third liver biopsy in seven months (for those who are unfamiliar, this number is well above average). The past two showed troubling results and I'm greatly relieved to receive better news this time around.

Regarding the presence of fat in my liver, I quote: "GONE :)"

That sigh of relief you heard was mine!

My liver biopsy in June 2010 showed 80 percent - 80%! - fat in my liver, which is very unhealthy and also is an inidcator of metabolic syndrome. My docs told me to lose weight and control my blood sugar better, and I did. Even hampered by the steroids I had to take after my rejection episode, which made it very tough to follow doctors' orders, I was able to keep off the weight I initially lost (the blood sugar was beyond my control, however). Nonetheless, it worked!

The lessons: Follow doctor's orders. Hope for the best and stay as positive as possible. Don't give up.

Image courtesy of DiabetesMonitor.com

3 comments:

Something Happened Somewhere Turning said...

Sounds like great advice and certainly good news. Take good care, Jay.

Something Happened Somewhere Turning said...

I was sad to read about the depression. I can't say it doesn't surprise me after all you have experienced since transplant. I hope things take a turn and I'm glad to hear you are wanting to blog some more. I've always enjoyed reading your post because they are always very informative.
As always, wishing you well.

Bx

suresh said...


Many thanks for sharing an informative post that is helpful to us. Finally, I say once more, thank you, sir.
very helpful blog