Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Whew! My Lab Results Improve


Last week it was time to have blood work done again and I'm SO pleased to say that, for the most part, the numbers look much better. My MELD score, which was 9 two months ago and 12 last month, dropped to 8. What a relief!

My AFP test rose from 106 to 137, but I'm still not worried at this point. It would have to rise to the 400 to 500+ before I start wringing my hands.

My heptologist, a fabulous doctor, called me personally to tell me the results and discuss what's next. First, I'm going to take metformin again to help control my blood sugar. And in a month or so, I'll probably switch from prograf to cyclosporine. This change will make it possible for me to take one of the new Hep C meds, if they become available to transplant patients. I'm not sure whether I'll want to take the meds, but I'll ponder that matter if and when the opportunity arises.

In the meantime the docs will monitor my MELD score and AFP test results, and I'll be on the lookout for any signs of ascites (edema), varices (esophageal bleeding) and encephalopathy (I refer to it as "liver dementia"), which are indications of advanced cirrhosis. Mostly, though, I will enjoy this world and the people in it.