Monday, August 6, 2012

Well, This is Another Fine Mess...


What's a gal to do? I received a diagnosis last month that I believe is wrong and I'm uncertain about how to handle the situation.

Here's the scoop: Had an appointment today with my gastroenterologist, who was unexpectedly out of the office. Rather than reschedule, I agreed to see one of his colleagues (my symptoms had been plaguing me for weeks and I hoped I could get them resolved this week). This doc was unfamiliar with my medical issues - and there are plenty of them - and I believe he did what he thought was best given the circumstances. But I believe his diagnosis was off the mark and I'm not inclined to follow his directions.

I was very uncomfortable about addressing my concerns with my doctor, with whom I had a follow-up appointment 10 days later. But a friend helped me frame it up, suggesting that I point out the complications of my situation and ask for my doctor's perspective. A much more graceful approach than I can sometimes imagine.

Fingers crossed. Let's see how this goes.


No comments: