Friday, October 24, 2008

We Get THE CALL - My New Liver Awaits

Saturday, December 2, 2006 we got THE CALL - a liver was waiting for me. We informed our family and friends "group" via emails from our close friend, Bob, who served as interim communications chief while Gene was out-of-pocket. Here are those emails:

Saturday, Dec. 2 - 3:16 p.m.

Hello everyone. Bob here. Gene asked me to contact you. A compatible liver donor has been identified and Jay is currently enroute to the hospital by helicopter [note: due to stormy weather, I was actually taken via ambulance]. Jay's transplant surgery is schedule to begin this evening at 8 p.m. and is expected to take six hours. Gene, my wife Carolyn and Happy [a deacon from our church and dear friend] are driving to the hospital now. Please keep them all in your prayers tonight. I will send out updated information as it's relayed to me.


Sunday, Dec. 3 - 7:35 a.m.

Good morning, everyone. Bob again. The news from the hospital could not be better. Jay's surgery did not start until 1 a.m. and took about 5 1/2 hours. The doctors told Gene that by the time they wheeled Jay out of the OR, the liver was already functioning. It was a textbook procedure. (The fact that the docs were able to watch their favorite football team win a conference championship game probably helped also!) Jay's Mom and sister are now at the hospital. I'll try to get info about when calls and visits to Jay can start and send out another email.

No comments: