Saturday, May 2, 2009

No Surprise - Gotta Complete More Government Forms for Social Security!

I received the mail that I'd been told to expect - it was two questionnaires for me to fill out. One asked for detail about any pain I was experiencing; the other asked for detailed responses about my condition and its impact on my daily activities. My husband was also asked to complete a questionnaire, which addressed his observations about my illness and its impact on day-to-day life, activities, etc.

More multi-paged forms requesting details. Ugh. Given how long it took me to complete the online forms, I thought surely that volume of data would be sufficient. It's frustrating and a challenge to spell out the details these days, given my (lack of) memory.

During this time, I decided to be proactive about making sure Social Security reps received the records they needed from my doctor and the hospitals I had stayed in (my transplant center and the local hospital where, in May 2006, I had my gallbladder removed and received the news about needing a liver transplant). I faxed a request to my local doctor's office, then made personal phone calls to records departments at both hospitals to ensure they had received the request and were responding. Cynic that I am, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that all had been received and records were being mailed. Yeah!

Actually, I was the last one to complete and submit forms. When I discovered that everything else had been submitted, I expedited completion of my questionnaires and faxed them in. I was told that the person/physician who reviews applications and substantiation materials would be able to make a determination within 24 hours of receiving all documents (imagine! the government making a 24-hour turnaround!), so I was highly motivated.

The documents were faxed April 24; I was again told to wait for a letter. Two days ago, unable to hover over the mailbox any longer, I called to check about how things were progressing and learned that my file had been sent to a quality control-type department where files are reviewed to be certain they are accurate. Arrrgghhhhhh! So close, so close...

I've been told to look for mail in May, so once again I wait.

1 comment:

Erminia Cavins said...

When you're applying for a Social Security Disability program, dealing with a lot of forms is unavoidable. And because you have a lot of paperwork to think about, it's important to keep copies of them in the event that they get lost or damaged. One thing that you don't want to happen is to repeat the same procedure, so you must organize your forms well.