Sunday, July 25, 2010

Researchers Look at Metabolic Syndrome after Liver Transplant

In a 2009 issue of Liver Transplantation, researchers found that liver transplant recipients were three times more likely to develop metabolic syndrome than the general population. The study stated:

Metabolic syndrome is an "epidemic waiting to happen" among liver transplant recipients, largely as a result of their increasing likelihood of survival ...
An article on provides more detail about the study and recommendations for reducing chances that liver transplant recipients will develop metabolic syndrome.

If you've had or are waiting for a liver transplant, take time to read this article. This information is important. I'm living it now and trust me, it's a challenge.

1 comment:

mike said...

I am five months post transplant. From reading your blog I know that we share a similar story. I was diagnosed with end stage liver deseise in September of 09. I had been sick starting around December of 08 but remained a medical mystery until being diagnosed. In the months prior to September life was an endless series of hospitals nausia confusion blackouts and on and on. The blackouts, it turned out were the result of excess amonia gas being produced from protien that my body could not process. It would get into my brain and that would be the trigger. I would wake up in the hospital, sometimes days later, hooked up to vetilation machines. The time took a horrible toll on my body and my family. I'm not going to go on because, as you know, this pre-transplant story is about the same for all of us. At least this is what I'm finding out now.

By November we had the "you have six months" talk, and jumped through all of the "listing" hoops. My MELD score jumped between 28 and 36 weekly, but no offers were forthcomming. By March we had not recieved a single offer. I admit that I pretty much had given up. I was experiencing rampant emotional outburst, attacking my loved ones and nurses verbaly. I would cry uncontrollably at night, could not sleep for days. It was insane. There was little or no organization to the process. I felt alone. Responsible for my own schedualing for treatments, doctor appointments and bills. My god. The bills. An endless pile of demands for money from doctors I never met. My hospital room became a turnstile for any student or resident or whatever who popped their head in, took a peek at the dying guy and then went to lunch.

Hearing your story now four years out is disturbing to me. I think what you are doing is great in that it gives some guidence about being realistic in our expectations as transplant patients. I wonder if you experienced similar road blocks? Did they make you accept an offer you did not want? Has that lead to complications you are expieriencing? Did you have to fight to get offers? Are you fighting now? These are my questions.

I have no words to express my hopes that you will come through this again. Or to relate the fear I feel knowing that you are suffering four years post transplant. No one can know the hell that this process is unless they have been there. I hope you will continue to fight and continue to tell your story. If you would like to discuss anything I am a willing ear. My e mail is